Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Swedish Pancakes, Zundel Style

When I think of pancakes, I think of these. I have no clue what makes them “Swedish” but they are darn good. I think they would be most closely compared to crepes, but that makes them sound complicated, so we’ll call them ‘easy crepes’.

You can eat them with whatever you want: jelly, syrup, cheese, whatever ...
but we’ve always enjoyed them rolled and then we dip them in a brown sugar/sour cream mix. Weird. Yes, I know. But it makes a caramelly delicious sauce. And I will only eat them this way.

What you’ll need:
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
Beat eggs, oil and milk. Add all other ingredients and beat well. At this point, the batter can be stored in the refrigerator, for cooking later (a day or two later). My mom always used her trusty griddle to cook the pancakes, so I do the same. I honestly have no idea if these can be cooked any other way. Heat griddle and oil surface. Pour batter to griddle and smooth out (the bottom of a spoon works well). Flip when the bottom start to turn light brown (see left). Remove when both sides start to brown, but are still very soft.eat as you choose (see toppings above). smile. yum.

No comments: