Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Apple Cake

This is Corey’s favorite dessert.

Short funny story about the famous apple cake: Last fall I had just refilled the plug-in air freshener in our living room with a new “autumn” scent of apples and cinnamon. Corey arrived home a shot while later and said something like “Oh, you made my mom’s apple cake, my favorite” ... I must have had the strangest look in my face “um, no, I didn’t cook at all ...” Well as it turns out, this apple cake smells just like the apple and cinnamon air freshener, but tastes a lot better than air freshener!

Apple Cake & Caramel Topping

What you need for the cake:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp basking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped nuts
5 cups apple (peeled, cored and diced)

Combine and mix all ingredients except apples and nuts. Add apples and nuts and mix. Batter will be stiff. Spread in 9x13 pan and bake for 40-50 minutes at 350*

What you'll need for the caramel:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
splash of vanilla

I double this recipe because you can never have too much caramel :)
Combine and heat on stove on low until mixed well, thickened, and sugar is dissolved.
Scoop apple cake and top with caramel.

Thanks to Andrea for the recipe!

No comments: